by Matt Poulton
It’s been a fantastic few days in sunny Barcelona where the Trend Micro team made the most of VMWorld Europe. It always offers a great opportunity to talk to customers, partners and prospects and this year was no different. On the event’s last day today, we reflect on some insight into what’s working, and where organisations feel there are still challenges to address.
A big thanks goes to all those hardy souls who manned the Trend Micro stand from morning till early evening, delivering over 130 demoes in eight languages on just the first day, as well as our spokespeople who spent countless hours talking to the press and presenting the Trend Micro vision to keynote attendees.
So what are our key takeaways from the show?
- Cloud and on-premise continue to blur: VMWare’s Project Dimension made a lot of waves at the show. It extends the VMware Cloud by delivering hyperconverged infrastructure and hardware as-a-service to on-premise locations — offering yet another option to tempt organisations who want the benefits of the cloud combined with on-premise infrastructure. The key for these customers, of course, is to ensure workloads remain secure wherever they are.
- Hybrid cloud is top of mind: One of the biggest topics up for discussion on the Trend Micro stand this year was hybrid cloud. According to the latest IDC stats out last week, 90% of organisations will look to migrate to hybrid and multi-cloud environments over the next six years. But once again, security remains a major concern, especially when workloads are moving from one environment to another.
We were able to reassure many of these concerned IT professionals that Trend Micro Deep Security works across multiple cloud and virtual technology providers, unifying security across on-premise, private and public cloud environments so it can be managed from a single screen. Most importantly, workloads are automatically protected wherever they are.
- Trend Micro remains a key partner for VMware. In fact, we’ve been handed the prestigious title of VMware Partner Innovation Award Global Winner for two years in row now. That accolade is testament to a long-running relationship between our two firms over the past decade. You won’t get better VMware-ready security anywhere on the market. A fantastic customer, partner and alliance event at the W Hotel on Tuesday confirmed our commitment to the channel and the wider VMware-Trend Micro ecosystem.
- Container security gets more important: Another key theme of the show this year, and a concern of visitors to the Trend Micro stand, was how to secure their containers. With VMware announcing the acquisition of Kubernetes solution provider Heptio at the show, it’s clear that demand for container tools is accelerating. That’s why we launched Deep Security SmartCheck earlier this year to offer pre-runtime, continuous image scanning.
- It’s not all about the technology: Buying cloud and virtual-ready security technology is one thing, but education and awareness programmes are also a vital component of any effective security strategy. That’s why we had a lot of interest on stand in our new PhishInsight tool. It’s great to see employee education so high on the agenda for organisations. With PhishInsight they get access to a free phishing simulation service which provides real-world scenarios to test users, coupled with analysis and feedback tools.